Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Lightning: A Lifeguard's Best Friend

My favorite days of the summer? The ones where I wake up to go to work and it is already storming! It’s almost the equivalent of waking up on Christmas morning. Almost.

Too bad it’s the end of July and it’s only stormed at the pool a total of 3 times this whole summer. Unbelievable, right? Sometimes I swear there is a vortex over our pool that repels any form of rain, lightning or thunder. I can’t tell you how many times storms on the horizon looked so foreboding that I thought they were bringing the end of the world and they get within one mile of the pool and just disappear. And we go back to having a hot, humid, sunny day… perfect for pool-goers. Yippee. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job and do enjoy the sunny days, but sometimes it is nice to get some freebie breaks every once and awhile. Those are the times where I’ve had some of my most memorable moments of this job, come to think of it.

I’ve mastered the art of OJ Pong, seen someone eat the hottest pepper in the world and live to tell about it, learned how to play poker, witnessed the most outlandish conversations I’ve ever heard in my entire life and have probably laughed so hard I cried more times than I can count. This is where the lifeguard bonding occurs, folks. Just yesterday, we closed for three hours because of lightning and created the most incredibly heinous masterpieces through “The Drawing Game.” It’s funny how your imagination kicks in when you have limited entertainment.

I know it all sounds like all fun and games, but we definitely have days full of oh-so-fun manual labor during those storms. Clean, clean, clean, clean, clean. Clean the deck, scrub the bathrooms, mop the floors, organize the storage closet, clean the refrigerator, scrub the foul-smelling trashcans and recycling bins, file the entire world, pressure wash the lawn chairs…definitely the downside of those stormy days.

I have a 9hr. workday ahead of me today. I’ll do a rain dance and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment